N.A.B.B.A. Trip Performance
North American Brass Band Association Championships Information
What is N.A.B.B.A.?
- It is a competition for Brass Bands from the United States and Canada. Some bands from Europe have also competed in the past.
- Judges are behind a screen to form an objective opinion.
- There are also many soloists and small ensembles that perform on the day before.
Why should you and/or your student attend?
- This performance will motivate MCYBB to achieve higher levels of playing and inspire our members to strive for excellence.
- It will give you and your student the opportunity to hear some of the best brass and percussion playing in the country including adults and youth ensembles.
- It is also time to talk to people from other brass bands and get a broader view of brass banding in general.
What would we do there?
- See exhibits of instruments and music - bring your mouthpieces to try instruments (sorry, there are not usually percussion instruments on display)
- The main reason we will attend is to PERFORM for world class adjudicators and then hear outstanding bands for the rest of the time.
Each student must have a HEALTH FORM completed and returned to Miss Opatich prior to departure.
- Meet at Southgate Anderson High School then continue to Southfield SA
- Students may choose to be picked at Southgate Anderson HS or Southfield Music School
- Stop for fast food (not included in cost of trip) – if you cannot wait this long, bring a snack
- Arrive at Comfort Suites in Grand Rapids– check in
- Breakfast at Hotel included in cost of trip
- Travel to DeVos Center
- See exhibits and scheduled bands – you will have a program for details of when each band performs
- End of awards and go to rooms
- Check out and depart for home
- Stop for fast food (not included in cost of trip)
- Arrive at Southfield Music School
- Arrive at Southgate Anderson High School
Cost for students: $160.00 - Make checks payable to Motor City Brass Band
Cost for four male chaperones: Free (we have the necessary female chaperones)
Items included in student trip: tickets for all performances (NABBA dues), bus, two nights in the hotel, breakfast on Saturday and Sunday
Items not included in trip: food other than breakfast at hotel, souvenirs
Suggested spending money for food: $40
One fund raiser has been suggested and if implemented, could lower the cost of the trip per student. This will take the form of a lower final payment. More details to follow.
Website for more information:
Schedule of bands
- Venue pictures
- Names of the brass bands competing this year
- If you click on NABBA Member bands, you will see a list of links for bands
- Nearby restaurants
- A link to the hotel where we will stay
- AND MORE!